Revalidation of Certificate of Competency
The requirements for establishing ‘Continued Professional Competence’ are as follows:
A. Record of sea service in the relevant capacity for a period of at least one year in the preceding five years;
B. Original experience certificate from the employer for equivalent services performed ashore (e.g. officers working in marine related jobs, such as: maritime surveyors, faculty, superintendents, cargo superintendents, port officers, port engineers, officers serving on offshore rigs and platforms, FPSO, FSO, Chartering, Brokering or Commercial operations, vetting inspectors, ISM auditors, Port State and Flag State inspectors, Shipboard Training Officers, pilots, etc. ) for a period of at least two years in the preceding five years.
C. Record of approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate to the certificate held, for a period of at least 3 (three) months in total during the preceding 6 (six) months immediately prior to expiry of the certificate
D. Successfully completing an approved training course or courses, such as: competency course for the grade of CoC concerned or one grade higher
E. Evidence of payment of N10, 500 and
F. Two passport size photograph
Additionally, the following requirements shall be met for revalidation to ensure compliance with 2010 Manila Amendments to the STCW Convention, 1978, as amended.
1. Valid seafarer’s medical certificate of fitness
2. Valid /refresher course on certificate of proficiency in basic training (Basic Mandatories)
3. Valid/refresher course on advance firefighting certificate
4. Medical care certificate
5. Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (other than fast rescue boats)
6. Ship Security Officer certificate
7. Global Maritime Distress and Safety System certificate (GMDSS)
8. Human Element and Leadership Management certificate
9. Electronic Chart Display Information System (ECDIS) – where applicable
10. ARPAR/RADAR Certificate.
11. High Voltage system certificate – where applicable
Completed Application form to be submitted to the Director, MARITIME SAFETY AND SEAFARERS STANDARD DEPARTMENT (MSSSD), NIGERIA MARITIME RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT CENTRE, KIRIKIRI, APAPA, LAGOS. NIGERIA. Email: email@example.com, Tel: 09076361503.