Compliance Monitoring Inspections
The Agency conducts daily inspections across the operational zones of the Agency (Western, Central, and Eastern) under the port, flag and coastal States duties.
A total of Eight Hundred and Seventy-Five (875) vessels were boarded from January to December, 2020.
The breakdown is Central zone – 120, Eastern – 519 and Western – 236.
This activity was to ensure that vessels have the required documentations on-board to carry out the following operations: –
1. Full and effective compliance with the requirements and provisions of the relevant Conventions/regulations the Department is mandated to enforce and implement;
2. To check the availability of relevant certificates and documents required to be carried on-board;
3. To ensure and record the validity of certificates/documents on board ships Crew level of training and familiarity with onboard
4. Effective compliance by ship-owners and crew alike in line with IMO Circular on Mandatory carriage and usage of certificates
5. Prevention of influx of sub-standard vessels into the Nigerian waters;
6. Zero/minimized pollution of the marine environment;
7. Sustainable safe, secured shipping, cleaner oceans and enhanced maritime capacity in line with the best global practices
towards Nigeria’s economic development.