Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems (GMDSS) Certificate Endorsement Requirement
The requirement for endorsement of GMDSS training certificates issued by approved Maritime Training Institutions (MTIs) is as follows;
- New issuance of GMDSS endorsement
- Copy of the GMDSS Certificate of Competence issued by MTI.
- Valid Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Certificate of Competence
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Certificate
- Personal Survival Techniques Certificate
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal safety and Social Responsibility
- Evidence of payment (NIMASA receipt) of N21,000:00
Application to be sent to the Director, Maritime Safety and Seafarers Standard Department (MSSSD), Nigeria Maritime Resource Development Centre (NMRDC), Kirikiri, Apapa, Lagos. Nigeria. Email: email@example.com Tel; 09076361503
- Revalidation of GMDSS endorsement
GMDSS endorsement certificates are required to be revalidated every five years. A GMDSS endorsement certificate holder can seek renewal of GMDSS certificate under following conditions:-
- Upon performance of radio service onboard vessel fully fitted with GMDSS equipment for a period of at least 12 months in total within preceding five years or at least 3 months in total within the preceding 6 months
- Upon successful completion of approved training or GMDSS revalidation course at an approved provider within 12 months to application for revalidation
- Upon performing functions which are considered by the manager of the ship to be at least equivalent to the seagoing services. These functions may include GMDSS lectures in approved MTIs conducting GMDSS courses, radio technicians working with companies regularly involved with installations and handling of GMDSS equipment and radio operators in fully GMDSS equipped installations other than seagoing vessels.
- Completion of revalidation course
- meet the requirement in A above.