Seafarer standard & certtification
Certificate Of Competency
REQUIREMENT FOR CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCY EXAMINATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE STCW CONVENTION
I - Officer of Watch (OOW)
All candidates for examination leading to the award of Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW Convention as amended, must meet the minimum requirement as provided in the Convention.
Candidate for Certification as Officer in charge of Watch (OOW);
- Shall not be less than 18 years old must have a valid Medical Certificate of Fitness from an approved Institute, a Vision/Lantern Test Certificate and has served at sea in trading vessels.
- At least 12 or 36 months approved sea going service as cadet/trainee officer and meets the standard of competence specified in the STCW Code and is documented in an approved record book.
- Has evidence of completion of a Dedicated/Preparatory course from a recognized institution.
The examinations leading to Certification as Officer in charge of Watch consist of Two (2) Sections:
Part A (Written examination)
Part B (Oral examination)
II, 2nd Engineer/Mate
- 18 months sea service experience +OOW + CoC examination
III, Chief Engineer/Master
- 18 months sea service experience + 2nd Eng/Mate + CoC examination
IV, Electro Technical Officers
- 12 months or 36 months sea service experience as trainee