Freedom Of Information
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2011 (PORTAL)
At the Agency Top Management meeting held on Friday 8th September 2017at the Multipurpose Hall, NIMASA NMRDC Office Kirikiri, Lagos. It was approved that the Freedom of Information activities be domiciled in SERVICOM Unit of the Agency.
Objectives and Mandate of the Freedom of Information Unit (Servicom)
- Coordinate the implementation of and compliance with Freedom of Information Unit (Servicom)
- Arrange to make records and information in the custody of the Agency available, subject to specified exemptions and due process.
- Enhance transparency and accountability of the Agency and its workforce.
Mandate of the Freedom of Information Unit (Servicom)
- Process oral or written application(s) for access to information and records;
- Liaise with other Departments, Units, Zones and Port Offices to attend to and address request(s);
- Manage all requests in collaboration with Director General Office and Legal Unit to provide Legal support at all times;
- Prepare and submit the quarterly FOI implementation report to the Director General Office;
- Prepare and submit FOI implementation annual report to the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) on or before 1st February for the preceeding year;
- Develop standard charges for making copies of the Agency’s documents and transcriptions of same as provided in the FOI Act
- Provide advisory services on FOIA
The Freedom of Information Unit( Servicom), in discharging its duties, will at all times, collaborate with Department, Units, Zones and Port offices in addressing requests and ensure that the laid down procedures are followed;
- Receive request
- Request the applicant to complete the form or assist in putting down oral request in writing
- Acknowledge receipt of request by stamping, and register the request
- Review request and send its to the appropriate Departments , Units, Zones and Port offices as appropriate for response in accordance to the provision of FOI ACT
- Ensure the response from the Department are within the stipulated period as provided in FOI Act
- Communicate the outcome of the request/Report to the applicants within the stipulated period as specified in the Act.
- Register / Log action taken with date for record purposes.
Dr. Dakuku Peterside
The Director General
Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency,
4 Burma Road, Apapa